Xosé María Cao Luaces

Birth Date: 13th December 1862 (†27th January 1918)
Birth Place: Santa María de Cervo (Lugo)

When he was thirteen, he already showed his vocation for Drawing at the porcelain factory of Sargadelos, where his father was working. After the shutdown of Sargadelos factory in 1877, they moved to Gijón and he began to work as a painter decorator in the pottery factory ‘La Asturiana’. In Gijón, he met the Galician sculptor Xosé María López Rodríguez, who taught him all the techniques of sculpture and drawing. Then he moved to Madrid to go on improving his technique and worked in a porcelain company in Vallecas (Madrid). He returned to Gijón, where the owner of a pottery and glasswork factory offered him to direct the decoration workshops. He painted his first oils and portraits in A Coruña and began to study Trade & Teaching. In 1886, he emigrated to Buenos Aires and began to make caricatures in the street. One year later, he worked in a private school and began to collaborate in several newspapers. Shortly after, he began to collaborate in the magazine ‘El Sudamericano’ making caricatures and then in the weekly paper ‘Don Quijote’. He worked in this publication with Eduardo Sojo (Democritus I), criticising the Argentinean governors, which led him to prison on several occasions as well as the closing of the magazine. As a result of this situation, he decided to found a Galician newspaper. In February 1892, the first issue of ‘El Eco de Galicia’ came out but he had to sell it a few months later. Besides, he collaborated in other publications such as ‘El cascabel’, ‘La Bomba’, ‘El Arlequín’, ‘Caras e caretas’ (he was the editor of this publication), ‘Guignol’, ‘Fray Mocho’ and ‘Crítica’ and carried out an intense journalistic activity in the most important Argentinean newspapers.

 Other Interesting Aspects

The first Galician Centre of Buenos Aires was founded in 1879 and dissolved in 1892. He thought it was necessary to make all the necessary efforts to refound this institution. So, in 1893, he was nominated as president of the temporary board of directors, being Castro López secretary. However, this board of directors lasted just a short time and once again the attempt of refounding the centre was frustrated. Before his death, he left his journalistic activity and founded a cultural society in Lanús called ‘Madre Fraternidad’.